Friday, April 9, 2010

Day 231: Today my heart is broken


So hearing the news that your favourite band for the last 16 years is usually considered to be great news. Hearing that after that tour they are disbanding is the worst news I have received in a very long time.

I can't recall the exact number of times I have seen them live, but it has been quite a few, many of which have been at festivals. The first time was back at Homebake in 1999 on the last day of schoolies, and the most recent was at the Big Day Out a couple months ago. These guys are truly amazing live!! I last mentioned them on my blog here - http://mel365ish.blogspot.com/2010/01/day-154-big-day-out-round-2.html

I feel crushed today, it's like the end of an era. Powderfinger are kind of my 'go-to' band, they're songs never fail to pick up any mood I'm having (even if I'm in the best mood ever, they still make it better).

They have been the soundtrack to so many of my life's experiences, and has been shared with some amazing friends. There are many of their songs that I can't listen to without being reminded of an event or a person in my life.

It's pretty safe to say that today sucks like a mofo.

4 comments:

  1. Sad news but..... a little ray of sunshine.

    I flagged your blog and you have 2 new awards!

    Enjoy and hope the day improves.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe thanks SSG! I've been having probs with my Internet at home so have been blogging from my phone and barely checked anyone's blogs for the last week. Will do it tonight!

    Now to decide if I'll go to the Brisbane or Sydney show. Or both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chin up, they may go on to other projects and new sounds. After a while a band can feel pigeonholed.
    And a disbanding is better than a death. A band member of my favourite band since 1993 passed away from cancer not long ago. so so sad as it was kept secret for 7 years and his passing was a shock to the fans. However they are still going on with a new bass player. But it's not the same, and I guess in a roundabout way, if powderfinger goes on to new things, it won't be the same.
    But if we all stayed the same, and there wasn't change, or progress....then how blah would our world be!
    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon, apologies for the delay in replying. You have a very good point about a death being much worse and also about things needing to change over time.

    I'm feeling better about it now (just needed a little tantrum when I first found out!) and am excited for the farewell concerts!

    ReplyDelete