Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 155: Big Day Out (round 2)

So I promised a follow up from my previous post so here it is.

BDO was freakin amazing!!!! I seriously had such a fabulous day and could not top smiling haha.

Started off the day in the front of the moshpit for Eskimo Joe. These kids put on a damn good show and I never get bored of them no matter how many times I see them. I tweeted about having my fingers crossed they would play Sweater and when they said "now we're going to play something from our very first record" I nearly wet myself! They played Wake Up, which was a bit disappointing cos I had convinced myself that this would finally be the year they played Sweater.


Joel had his shirt unbuttoned and there was a bit of nip action - delightful!

So it was freakin hot in the moshpit (temp was around 40degrees) but then out of nowhere came this crazy cool change and some rain!! Like WHOA!



Next up was Hilltop Hoods (represent represent!!) who put on an amazing set - very impressed. I've seen them once before so knew what to expect - their fans get a little nuts so we stayed on the outer edge and then got trapped when all the Dizzee fans made their way in. Holy shit,I've been in teh middle of many a moshpit (including a crazy Hilltop one) but this was freakin insane. At one point neither of my feet were on the ground and I was sure everyone was about to land in a big pile on top of each other. At this point I lost one of my shoes and we decided to get out of there.




Actually turned out for the best cos it meant we could go to the back of the stadium and dance up a storm (couldn't even move your arms in the middle of the pit), soaking wet and barefoot, to the awesome Dizzee beats. This part was probably the highlight of my day.

Oh, that... and seeing boys in meggings lol.

After Dizzee, we left the crowd because shitty Lily Allen was up. For someone who performs live a LOT, she was absolutely shithouse live. We went to find me a pair of thongs, grab something to eat and drink some fabulous vodka passionfruit slushies

Next on our agenda was Powderfinger. I love these guys but was a little disappointed about 3/4 of the way through their set cos they played a lot of their mellow songs, and I was really hoping for the more rocky upbeat anthems. turned out they saved those til the very end!! Yewww!


Bernard Fanning may just be the love of my life. Though he has some very strong competition from the lead singer of the band that were next on our list - Grinspoon! I've seriously been in love with these two guys (and their bands!) since I was 13. Sexy Phil was in fine form with his crazy dancing, and I was disappointed that we didn't get to see the whole set (overlapped with Powderfinger and then was freakin miles away) but we got there in time to hear Just Ace, More Than You Are and Champion. Heck yes!! 3 of my fave Grinspoon songs!!


We skipped Muse, took in the teachings of Peaches (lolol, she is hysterical!), watched some crazy rides, had more vodka pash slushies then headed back to the main stage for the fireworks before heading over to take in some of Fear Factory's set.

 

Seriously the BDO did definitely not disappoint this year! I really regret not going for the last few years now because I had such an awesome time. Looking forward to the next festival now! Yeewwwwww!

2 comments:

  1. Mel you are awesome!! I swear you would have to be the ONLY person I know sporting a Tiffany key in a BDO moshpit...faux or not...it's truly fabulous, just like you!! Oh and go the meggings yewwwwwwwwwwww!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, I slept with it on the night before and couldn't find any jewelry that was moshpit appropriate but also couldn't go out with nothing so just left it on! I felt naked enough without earrings (have seen some get ripped out - ewww) so needed a necklace.

    ReplyDelete