Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 57: More baking!


So yesterday I totes got my bake on! I bought the AWW Cookies, Cupcakes, Cheesecakes book recently (it's featured in another photo of the day) and absolutely had to try out the pink macarons (well, they call them macaroons, but I am pretty sure it is meant to be macarons, like the cute little french version, not the gross coconut chunk ones).

I had heard that these little babies are pretty easy to screw up, so was a bit anxious, but thought hey, the worst that can happen is that I waste $5 on ingredients and throw them out. The best thing is that I have bragging rights to making these awesome macarons!

So turns out, I got somewhere in the middle of that! The macarons are supposed to bake for 20 mins, and they looked ready at this point so i took them out of the oven to let them cool. I tried to get one of them off the tray and it was still quite wet, so I put them back in the oven for a few mins (5 to be exact!). Only prob was, I had alreayd turned the oven up by 40c to make cupcakes (they're coming up next!) so my pretty pink macarons turned a slight peachy type colour from a little browning.

They're too crumbly, though the bottom part is very chewy and they are all around delicious!! it's just that they don't present so well. Next time I will leave them in for 25 minutes at the low temp (140c) and see how they turn out. I am determined to get them right. But yeah, seriously, they taste amaaaazing!

Next up was vanilla cupcakes which someone had been harassing me to make. I use the Magnolia recipe (or uhh sometimes cheat and use the cheap 65c Woolworths vanilla cake which tastes almost identical to Magnolia - today I did the hard yards).

So here we have vanilla cupcakes with plain vanilla buttercream in some pretty black and white cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment